Ski Touring in Lapland
Will Ross, December 26, 2010
Type of Trip: Ski-Touring
Duration: 8 days
Price: from £674
Departure Dates: For 2011: 27 March – 02 April & 10 April -16 April
Ability: Some experience of cross-county skiing
Start point: Mora
Finish point: Mora
Operated by: Nature Travels Ltd.
On your first day you’ll be taken from Kebnats to Saltoluokta Mountain station where you spend the first two nights of the trip. Day 2 is the first day on skis which will give you a change to practice with the various pieces of equipment before heading out on Day four to the Sitojaure cabins. You’ll stay for three consecutive nights in the Sitojaure cabins from where you can do nearby routes with the option to venture in the Sarek National Park. On Day 6, the tour returns to Saltoluokta via the Autsutjakkas valley after about 19km on the trail. If you still have it in you, Day 7 provides you with a final opportunity to do a morning tour before leaving the Swedish mountain station to Kebnats for the bus to Gallivare and onward connections.
Included in the price
- All meals
- All transfers onward and returning to Kebnats
- Ski boots, skis, pols, climbing skins, rucksack, sleeping bag, sleeping mat, thermos and gaiters (book in advance)
- Maps and compass
Clothes to bring
- Woolen socks (2 pairs)
- Lighter socks (2 pairs)
- Windproof anorak and trousers
- Down jacket
- Hat and scarf
- Gloves (2 pairs)
- Pair of mittens
- Indoor clothing for evenings
Equipment to bring
- Backpack (approx. 60 litre)
- Sleeping bag
- Water bottle and drinking mug
- Insulated sleeping mat
- Sunglasses (optional)
- Head torch (optional)
- Your own XC or Telemark skis (optional)
- Swedish Mountain Map BD10 (optional)
Getting there responsibly
Foll0w greentraveller.co.uk’s journey planner to Stockholm. From Stockholm Central continue by train to Gallivare (15-18 hours direct or with changes). From Gallivare take a bus to Kebnats (approx. 2 hours) where you’ll be picked up by snowscooter by Nature Travels.
- Limited or no mobile phone coverage in the area.
- Approximately 20km of cross-country per day.
- Maximum 400 vertical metres in any one day
- Temperatures can get as low as -20 degrees Celsius at night.
- Recommended minimum age 16 years, maximum 65 years
- Private groups of minimum 6 persons can book this trip on other dates. Smaller groups possible at additional rate.
- Information about the area.